Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Happy Serbian New Year!

Well...technically its the eve but close enough.

It turned into a small little dinner party last night at the Metro. I invited Curly to join me at A & S's cafe for dinner and she brought along a small motley crew of girlfriends. In this multi-cultural city its not unusual to have a table of Jews, Puerto Ricans, Serbs, and Asians like last night. Its one of the beauties of being here.

I sold Curly and the crew on the "secret" menu of traditional Serbian dishes not found on the printed menu. They really only make it for the fellow countrymen that frequent the place, which is why you sometimes see Lakers center Vlade Divac grabbing lunch here. But unfortunately Curly didn't get to taste any of it for its not very vegetarian friendly fare.

I admit it was rather juvenille of me but I caught myself trying to be a good host for impress Curly and co. Call it natural male instinct. Really, what else are you supposed to do when you're outnumbered at a table of cute and amusing girls?

The boys were busy prepping for a big new years party (Serbian New Years is celebrated on the 13th of Jan.) but were still friendly as ever. They invited B and I to the soiree, which they are roasting a whole lamb and pig for. I asked A if there was any traditional activites that they do for NYs and he just laughed and said "yea, get drunk and dance to Serbian pop music!".

I think the girls liked the vibe of the place. And the dinner conversation was good and humorous...nice times. The girls would have stayed for coffee but hurried off so as not to miss the new episode of the Amazing Race.

LA Weekly reviews Metro Cafe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home