I think the Japanese are on to something.
According to all my Japanese friends, Christmas in Japan is unofficially the equivalent of our Valentine's Day. I'm guessing this mostly happens in the big cities and with mostly younger people. Apparently its a day when you have a nice romantic dinner/date, exchange gifts, then head to a love hotel to seal the deal. They tell me all the hotels are usually booked solid.
They also tell me that for everyone else not on a date, the option is for a traditional Christmas dinner of......K-F-C? Say what??? Well, it seems KFC is the closest thing to a turkey dinner (complete with "mashu potatoh w/ gureibei sosu"). The chicken chain is so busy on christmas that you have to put in a reservation days before in order to guarantee a dinner.
I remember I spent one Christmas in Tokyo years ago and did not notice anything unusual. But then again maybe everyone was already inside some crazy love hotel by then.
So, its too late to start a new tradition this year but I'm seriously campaigning next year to add this tradition to the holiday season. Why not? Stores will love another reason for you to buy something. Hell...why don't we just combine all the holidays into one!
Then it will truly be a holiday 'season'.
Minus the KFC.
Meri Kurisumasu, Mele Kalikimaka, et al....tamales here I come!
According to all my Japanese friends, Christmas in Japan is unofficially the equivalent of our Valentine's Day. I'm guessing this mostly happens in the big cities and with mostly younger people. Apparently its a day when you have a nice romantic dinner/date, exchange gifts, then head to a love hotel to seal the deal. They tell me all the hotels are usually booked solid.
They also tell me that for everyone else not on a date, the option is for a traditional Christmas dinner of......K-F-C? Say what??? Well, it seems KFC is the closest thing to a turkey dinner (complete with "mashu potatoh w/ gureibei sosu"). The chicken chain is so busy on christmas that you have to put in a reservation days before in order to guarantee a dinner.
I remember I spent one Christmas in Tokyo years ago and did not notice anything unusual. But then again maybe everyone was already inside some crazy love hotel by then.
So, its too late to start a new tradition this year but I'm seriously campaigning next year to add this tradition to the holiday season. Why not? Stores will love another reason for you to buy something. Hell...why don't we just combine all the holidays into one!
Then it will truly be a holiday 'season'.
Minus the KFC.
Meri Kurisumasu, Mele Kalikimaka, et al....tamales here I come!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home