Thursday, May 05, 2005

Saw Play Without Words last night at the Ahmanson with B and we both agreed it's nice to change things up every once in a while and see something different. Its always great to see a band or go to a concert but sometimes you want to see a performance piece that took a long time to develop and produce.

The dance-drama set in 60's London is hard to describe (a dialogue-free play using only dance and music) but was like watching a stylized live action movie. Think a less campy Austin Powers meets Blow Up. The slinky, sexy, cool, and groovy jazz score is amazing and perfectly compliments the slim mod suits and flight attendant like costumes. My favorite scene is probably the kitchen seduction as the choreography is so imaginative yet captured all the tension and sensuality. Who knew you could do that with just a couple of intertwining people and a kitchen table?

The show's running until the end of the month but for another week you can get ridiculously cheap ($12) tickets if you just show up and pick up rush seats. If they're available (only on weekdays) you'll have to sit in the vertigo-inducing balcony but there were plenty of empty seats in the lower level so we moved to them for the second half. Best deal EVER!

****
Heading (and somewhat dreading!) on a trip to southern Mexico this weekend for E's "destination" wedding. Its not the trip that worries me so much as I never feel comfortable at weddings. I'm looking forward to Mexico - driving two hours down the coastline to the resort, stopping at every roadside stand, relaxing - but not looking forward to the reception chit chat I will have to do. I never know how to act at weddings if that makes any sense (could it be because I don't fully believe in the institution myself?). Frankly I feel more comfortable at funerals than weddings as I've been to more of them and at least there's no one faking emotions there. But seeing as she is one of my closest friends, this will be different and I will be genuinely happy for her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home