Robots, Robots, Robots!
While the world is on the Pope's deathwatch, I'm gearing up and getting excited for my trip next week to the WORLD EXPO 2005 in Aichi, Japan.It wasn't really my first choice to go on another trip to Japan but Mum's never been but has always wanted to, so B and I are playing tour guides this time around. Personally, I would have liked to have gone to South America or Iceland or somewhere else I've never been but the idea of going to another World Expo was something I just couldn't turn down. I attended the last expo in Hanover, Germany in 2000 and it was amazing so I'm looking forward to this one. If you've never been before I would characterize it as similar to Disney's Epcot Center only a hundred times better and without the "Disney-fied" fakeness.
From what I've been reading the big attraction is all the crazy robots they have walking around and talking. They also have built a full size replica of the house in Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro" in the forest which should be cool as well. Expos have always been about showcasing the world's latest innovations and this year is no exception but I find the country pavillions to be almost more interesting. It can be like travelling around the world in a day. Each country brings their own food, craftspeople, musicians, dancers, etc. and so I find myself fascinated by discovering things about different countries and talking with people from there.
I'm going to try and update from the road but we'll see how it goes. It'll be good to be out of the US for a bit and see some friends I haven't seen in a while. I'm trying to get J in Osaka to arrange a tour of her company's factory (Glico, large snack co. and creators of Pocky, the chocolate dipped pretzel stick snack) just for the hell of it and of course I'm hitting a hot spring and possible tea farm in N's hometown near Mt. Fuji.
The expo runs until Sept. 25 2005 but if you miss it there is always the next expo in Shanghai in 2010. I'm already planning to be there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home