Wednesday, October 13, 2004

As a general rule, there will always be people cooler and more talented than you. It is easy to get intimidated but after all they're just people who are probably just as insecure as everyone else but just hide it better. I'm not saying F's rock star and movie friends are insecure; they're just normal people with not so normal jobs.

Friday's festivities started at some cool Silverlake Mexican place on Sunset right next to the Ellliot Smith memorial wall (the one on the Figure 8 album). F and his rock star british friends knew some guy having a bday party there. It had a well designed interior with an impressive tequila selection. I was lusting after one particular tequila that had a pistol shaped bottle. I ran into this girl from work there with a couple of her friends and spent about 20min. chatting them up. They had just left a presidential debate party. Worked out for me cause I'd been meaning to try to get to know "Curly" better (she's got pretty curls after all). I think I made a good impression; meaning she didn't seem repulsed, haha! Anyway, will probably see her for lunch soon.

The party we were there for was on the patio. About 20 or so film and music types, one guitarist which I had recognized as a one time member of a known band. It was pretty mellow, just a bunch of people talking about what they're working on, etc., etc. The Brits were cool. Very laid back and looking like guys from the OC instead of England. We talked at length about the political state of things in our countries and the exciting yet scary times we live in.


Hooked back up with the Brits and F on Sunday for the Moonshine Festival down in Laguna. Laguna's a funny place; nothing but luxury cars and, for some odd reason, there are either an ice cream or dessert bakery place every 20ft! Seems wealthy people only eat sweets I guess.

The Brits were playing the fest along with the lead singer from the Shins and Bonnie "Prince" Billy among others. The night earlier Jack Johnson and co. sold out the venue. The weather was beautiful, the show outdoors, and except for it being a little colder than I would have liked, it was superb! B described the 2-day fest as a "male/surf culture lilth fair" which I found hilarious but oddly kinda true. They had a bunch of surf influenced art in the front and showed Thomas Campbell's surf adventure film Sprout in between bands. The film was good, kinda like a surf travelogue with bits of comedy and animation interspersed; very much in the lineage of films like Endless Summer.

The performances were amazing. The Brits seemed under prepared and had trouble staying in tune but they had a few moments of niceness. Very mellow acoustic folkiness one might hear next to a campfire. F said it was probably the worst show he'd ever seen them play in the decade or so he's known them. The guy from the Shins was excellent. I hadn't known the Shins were so popular but the kids love them. The guy's got a good, distinct voice and a nice way with melody so it makes sense. I'm now a fan.

But my fav of the night had to be Bonnie "Prince" Billy who looked like some kind of wild west banker with his vest and beard. Very minimal instrumentation but his voice filled in the gaps and then some. He's got a slight quiver in his voice that I absolutely love and his lyrics are beautiful as well. I can't describe exactly what he plays other than what I would call "dark country". Not full fledged country but definitely has a melancholic tone to it. I'm definitely a fan now as well.

Also, ran into ADR at the show as well. Don't really know her all too well but have talked to her a few times as she's friends of friends. Her and her snobby husband are in a semi known band called the Tyde. I wasn't going to mention it but he's a dick in every sense of the word. Well at least to me and B. Guess I'm not hip enough for him to talk to me or even say hi when I'm standing right next to him talking to his wife. Its not like I haven't met you on several occasions! Is it because I don't look like a "Spiccoli" or have a shaggy doo and bad thrift store clothes? Geez....your not THAT talented a song writer. ADR on the other hand is totally nice. And randomly she told me she's playing keyboards for Gwen Stefani's solo tour and will be doing so til the end of the year. She heads out for Tokyo next week, then goes to Europe. I'm happy for her...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home