Saturday, June 19, 2004

The Beginning


She's partially responsible for me starting this.

The teahouse seemed like a suitable location to talk and get all the required personal information exchanged, as this was our first formal meeting. Situated on the east side of the city, the interior was fairly low key; soft, low lighting, a central fountain providing the soundtrack underneath the general chatter. They specialized in serving teas purported to help cure ailments and strengthen your body. I told her we should order the "lovers tea" (for couples ONLY, according to the menu), but she declined and went for something more traditional.

We went through the routine of questioning each other, the wheres, whens, hows, whats, and whos that led us up to that moment.

She said she wanted to do something in the arts.

I told her I wanted to own a tourist souvenier shop in an exotic destination when I retired.

She said she was in her longest "single" period.

I said this meeting was my longest "relationship" period in years.

The talk lasted a few hours until the staff kicked us out, so I walked her to her car and watched her smoke a few. We sat in her car listening to an oldies compilation and commenting on the classic love songs that seem to never go away...

...I'm a year older and still listening to the same love songs without her.

She said I didn't know her.

I told her I tried.

She said I needed to open up.

I told her I was working on it.

So here is my attempt at that. At trying to translate what I'm thinking into words; to make the invisible, physical.

wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home